Lavender essential oil is a colorless or green-yellow essential oil which is obtained from distilling fresh flowers of several species of the lavender plant. It has a sweet aroma and bitter taste.
Its fragrance makes it a good ingredient for perfumes, but it also contains plenty of medicinal properties that can relieve us from a number of health problems.
Here are some of the most common uses of lavender essential oil:
1. It is used to treat skin diseases and infections.
Practitioners of aromatherapy found lavender essential oil to be effective in treating skin allergies, acne, athlete’s foot, ringworm and other fungal infections, dermatitis, eczema, scabies, sunburns, wounds and cuts.
2. It is used to promote circulation and relieve muscle and joint pains.
As massage oil, lavender essential oil helps to relieve muscle and joint pains, lumbago and welling. It also helps to reduce heart palpitations, lower high blood pressure, relax tight muscles, provide relief from rheumatism and promote circulation.
3. It is used to provide relief from respiratory problems and infections of the respiratory tract. These include bronchitis, coughs, colds, flu, whooping cough, and sinus infections. Lavender essential oil is also known to provide relief from throat infections and laryngitis.
4. It is used to soothe the digestive tract as well as it improves digestion and the intestinal function. It also helps to treat nausea and relieve gas pins.
5. Its calming and uplifting aroma makes it an effective reliever of anxiety and stress. Aromatherapy practitioners also use lavender essential oil to treat insomnia, epilepsy, depression, migraines, headaches, and vertigo.
These are some of the most popular uses of lavender essential oil.
You can use this essential oil straight from the bottle without the need to dilute it. You can also blend it with other essential oils for added benefits as long as you dilute it with carrier oil.
Always remember to read directions and precautions before using essential oils. This is to ensure your safety and to maximize their healing potentials.