Rice is a swamp grass that is native to Asia. It is cultivated for its cereal grains, and it is a staple food in many Asian countries and other parts of the world.
It is a good source of carbohydrates, B vitamins and minerals such as manganese, phosphorous, selenium, copper, and a small amount of protein.
More than half of the world’s population depends on rice as its main source of food. There are two types of rice. These are the whole grain rice and white or polished rice.
Whole grain rice is high in nutritional value because it did not go through much processing. White rice has lesser nutritional content because its outer covering which holds its nutrients, has been thoroughly removed.
Here are some of the health benefits of rice:
1. It helps to provide the body with energy.
Rice contains plenty of carbohydrates which are a good source of fuel for your body’s energy needs.
2. It helps to provide your body with necessary nutrients.
Rice is a good source of B vitamins, vitamin D, calcium, fiber, and iron. These nutrients are essential for your health. It is also free from cholesterol, harmful fats and sodium which make it an important food for balanced diet and nutrition.
3. It is rich in resistant starch which helps useful bacteria to grow in the bowels. These bacteria play a role in keeping bowel movements normal.
4. It helps to maintain blood pressure.
Rice is good for people who are suffering from hypertension because it is low in sodium which can trigger high blood pressure.
5. It helps to prevent cancer.
Whole grain rice is rich in insoluble fiber. According to some scientists, insoluble fibers may help to protect people from many types of cancers.
6. It helps to cure stomach and indigestion problems.
According to Chinese tradition, rice helps to treat stomach ailments and indigestion problems. It also helps to improve appetite, and its diuretic properties help to flush out harmful toxins from the body through urination.
7. It helps to treat certain forms of skin disorders.
Powdered rice can be applied to the skin to treat some forms of skin problems. In Ayurvedic medicine it is also used as an ointment to cool off inflamed skin surfaces.
8. It helps to keep the functions of the nervous system within normal.
These are some of the health benefits of rice. These are also some of the reasons why you shouldn’t ignore it in your next meal.