Peppermint essential oil is an extract from peppermint, an herbaceous perennial plant which is a cross between watermint and spearmint. The plant was a native to Europe but it is cultivated around the world for its medicinal uses.
It is loaded with minerals and nutrients including iron, manganese, calcium, magnesium, folate, potassium and copper, omega-3, and vitamins A and C. It is accepted by the scientific community for its ability to cure many illnesses.
Here are some of the health benefits of peppermint essential oil:
1. It helps to relieve indigestion and other stomach problems.
Peppermint oil contains carminative properties which give it the ability to relieve indigestion, gas pains and other stomach problems. It is also known to boost appetite and relieve motion sickness. You can use it by adding a few drops of oil to a glass of water and drink it after a meal.
2. It has antiseptic properties that help to care for your teeth and gums.
This essential oil helps to kill germs that cause bad breath. It has antiseptic properties that promote oral health, including relief from gum and tooth aches.
3. It helps to provide temporary relief from respiratory problems.
This essential oil contains menthol which helps to clear the respiratory tract and provide instant but temporary relief from respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis, sinusitis, nasal congestion, colds and cough.
4. It helps to treat nausea and headache.
Many people keep this essential oil in their homes because of its ability to treat nausea and headache.
5. It helps to relieve stress.
Peppermint essential oil has a refreshing effect which helps to relieve stress, depression, anxiety and mental fatigue.
6. It helps to relax the muscles and provide relief from spasms in the digestive tract.
7. It helps to relieve pain.
Many people use peppermint oil externally to relieve pain. It also contains cooling properties which helps to alleviate fever.
8. It helps to nourish dry skin and dull hair. It is also used to kill head lice and remove dandruff.
9. It helps to improve blood circulation which can translate to mental clarity and improved concentration and physical alertness.
These are some of the health benefits of peppermint essential oil. It is also believed to work against kidney disease and certain types of cancer, but these are not yet scientifically proven. Further studies are needed to prove their effectiveness against these ailments.