Peppers are pungent, hot tasting fruits of the pepper plant which are used as spice to add flavor to many dishes.
Peppers are used all over the world for their spicy qualities, but only a few people know that they are rich in vitamins which help to keep your body well nourished and protected from certain diseases.
There are many types of peppers, and they are all good sources of vitamins A, C, and K.
Here are some of the health benefits of pepper:
1. It helps to prevent cancer.
The vitamins A and C which are abundant especially in red pepper are potent antioxidants which help to prevent cell damage that can lead to cancer.
2. It helps to prevent wrinkles and protect you from early aging.
The antioxidants present in peppers help to protect you from the harmful effects of free radicals which can cause wrinkles to your skin, and diseases related to early aging.
3. It helps to fight infection and boost your immune system.
Vitamin C is a powerful substance that helps to make your body resistant to infections. This can result in an added boost to your immune system and allows it to work effectively to protect your body against diseases.
4. It helps to reduce inflammation which is common when a person suffers from arthritis or asthma.
5. It helps to promote blood clotting.
Peppers are loaded with vitamin K. This is a substance which helps to promote blood clotting.
6. It is also a good source of lycopene, a carotenoid found in most red fruits and vegetables which is known to prevent prostate cancer and cancers of the bladder, cervix and pancreas.
7. Peppers are rich in fiber that plays an active role in keeping your digestive tract healthy, clean and functioning at its optimum.
8. Hot peppers are loaded with capsaicin, a compound which helps to decrease blood cholesterol and triglycerides levels in your body. It is also known to boost immunity and kill bacteria in the stomach that can cause ulcers. Capsaicin is also used as a component in creams that are used topically to relieve arthritis and nerve pain.