Many people adopt jogging as a regular exercise routine because it has many health benefits which include cardiovascular health, endurance, good physical and mental well-being and relief from stress.
Aside from its health benefits, regular jogging also helps to strengthen and tone your muscles. It is also used by many as a way to maintain or lose weight.
Some people are hesitant to jog for fear of injuring their knees, ankles or hips. But this can be avoided with the use of quality running shoes and the right technique. The benefits of jogging obviously outweigh the risks.
Here are some of the health benefits you can get from jogging:
1. It strengthens your heart muscles and improves your cardiovascular health. It also helps to make your heart pump oxygen-rich blood to your cells to keep you more active and alert. A strong heart is far from the risks of heart diseases.
2. It helps to prevent high blood pressure which can lead to serious complications such as damage to the brain, kidneys, stroke or death.
3. It helps to increase the presence of good cholesterol (HDL) which scrapes bad cholesterol off your blood vessels and carry it to the liver where it is broken down and excreted.
4. Regular jogging, which improves your cardiovascular health, can also help to develop your endurance or stamina overtime.
5. It helps to stimulate your body to increase its bone mineral density. This can give you stronger bones that are resistant to stress.
6. Regular jogging can help to lower the risk of certain types of cancers such as the ones that affect the colon, breast, ovary, lungs and prostate.
7. It can help to prevent diabetes which aggravated by excess weight and sedentary lifestyle. Even in the onset of diabetes, regular jogging can still work as an effective means to retard the development of the disease.
8. Regular jogging can help to boost your immune system. Several studies suggest that engaging in regular exercise like running and aerobics helps to stimulate the production of white blood cells and macrophages, the cells that protects you from harmful bacteria.
It is also believed that engaging in physical exercises on a regular basis can help to make the immune system work more efficiently.
9. It helps to give you a healthy sense of well-being. It helps to build your self-confidence and gives you a good outlet to relieve yourself from stress. Another benefit of jogging is it stimulates the release of endorphins which uplifts your mood.
10. It helps to burn fat. An average jogger burns about 150 calories per mile jogged and he can still burn up to 15 percent more calories within 48 hours after the exercise.
11. It helps to promote good sleeping habits. Engaging in regular early morning runs helps to set your biological clock to make you sleep early and wake up early for the routine.