Fasting is the willful act of abstaining from foods or drinks for a limited period.
Fasting has been practiced for centuries. It was done mostly for religious purposes. But according to medical science, fasting has many health benefits. It is a way of giving your digestive system some rest from its normal function of breaking down foods and fighting harmful chemicals and toxins that enter your body through the foods you eat. Through fasting, your body will have the time to heal and cleanse itself from harmful toxins and poisonous chemicals which are harmful to your health.
The healing process that happens during a fast helps to arrest abnormal growths within the body. The growth of abnormal tissues is likely to stop when the body deprives them of supplies that help to make them develop. Additionally, the replacement of worn out tissues in the body becomes more efficient when you are fasting because the DNA/RNA genetic controls which govern this process are less likely to function abnormally.
Fasting technically starts within 12 to 24 hours after you abstain from food or drinks. It doesn’t actually commence until your body begins to use its carbohydrate stores for energy. But when your body begins to use your protein stores for energy, you are no longer fasting but starving.
Here are some of the specific health benefits of fasting:
– It promotes detoxification as it gives your body the time to eliminate stored toxins when it breaks down its fat reserves;
– It invigorates your digestive system after the much needed break;
– It gives your body a break from allergic reactions;
– It helps to lower body temperature;
– It helps to stop the abnormal accumulation of fluid in the body;
– It helps to normalize your blood pressure which stays low as long as you follow a healthy diet and lifestyle;
– It helps to stop your craving for alcohol, nicotine, caffeine and drugs;
– It helps to clear your skin;
– It helps to restore the normal state of your taste buds as well as it brings back your appreciation for natural health foods;
– It helps to initiate weight loss;
– It helps to give you the feeling of rejuvenation and promotes the secretion of growth hormones.