Eucalyptus essential oil is obtained from the extracts if fresh leaves and twigs of the eucalyptus tree. This tree is native to Australia with the botanical name Eucalyptus globulus.
Eucalyptus oil contains eucalyptol, a medicinal compound which is used as a component for various medications including rubs, inhalers, liniments, rash creams, and mouthwashes.
Eucalyptus essential oil has a lot of health benefits. These include:
1. It helps to alleviate respiratory problems.
Eucalyptus essential oil has antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal and anti inflammatory properties. These make it effective in alleviating respiratory infections including cough, cold, sore throat, asthma, nasal congestion and sinusitis. It is used to cure non-bacterial sinusitis. It can also help to cure sore throat when mixed with warm water and used as gargle.
2. Its antiseptic properties make it an effective cure for wounds.
This essential oil is a potent germ killer. It is used to heal wounds, burns, cuts, ulcers and insect bites.
3. It helps to relieve muscle and joint pains.
It is used as massage liniment for its analgesic and anti inflammatory properties. These make eucalyptus essential oil effective in relieving rheumatism, lumbar pain, sprain, muscle aches and joint pains.
4. It helps to relieve stress and mental fatigue.
This essential oil has a refreshing effect on the brain. This helps to relieve stress, stimulate the brain and relieve mental exhaustion.
5. It helps to fight cavities and other dental problems.
Its germicidal properties make eucalyptus oil efficient in fighting oral cavities, gingivitis, dental plaques and dental infections.
6. It is used to treat skin infections.
7. It has the ability to control fever. It is the reason why it has earned it the name fever oil.
8. It helps to kill intestinal germs.
9. It helps to control blood sugar if taken internally and under the supervision of an aromatherapy professional.
These are some of the health benefits of eucalyptus essential oil. You should take note however, that aside from its medicinal value, it also contains toxic properties. You should not take it internally in large quantities.