Flashing a smile that displays a set of even, pearly white teeth is a great image booster.
Your teeth are an asset that can help to make you look good and boost your confidence. But not everyone is gifted with a white set of teeth, and teeth are naturally light yellow in color.
The teeth are an important part of a person’s personality and interaction with other people. They can affect the way a person carries himself. This is one of the reasons why people need to keep their teeth free from stains.
In order to achieve this, you need to know certain factors that can lead to teeth staining. These are:
1. Smoking or chewing tobacco.
Tobacco, whether smoked or chewed, is one of the most common causes of stained teeth.
2. Regular intake of colored drinks such as cola, tea, coffee, fruit juices and red wine.
3. Frequent eating of pigmented fruits like blueberries can also increase your chances of getting yellow or stained teeth.
4. Certain pharmaceutical products are also known to affect the color of your teeth. These include antibiotics like tetracycline and doxycycline, and antihistamines, antipsychotic, and antihypertensive drugs.
A person’s age play a part in the color and appearance of his of her teeth. This is because the surface enamel of the teeth erodes naturally as we age.
5. Excessive brushing or hard scrubbing which can lead to premature wearing out of the tooth enamel.
6. The buildup of plague or tartar can lead to teeth discoloration and cause stains to appear at the base of the teeth.
Most of the causes of teeth discoloration are contributed by external factors, and ways have been formulated to prevent or minimize their effect. Here are simple ways to keep your teeth pearly white:
1. Use baking soda to scrub the surface of your teeth.
Baking soda is an effective teeth-scrubbing agent that does not cause damage to the enamel.
Mix baking soda with hydrogen peroxide and use this combination as your toothpaste. This will help to facilitate the removal of stains and particles that are trapped between your teeth.
Here’s the formula:
1.1 Put one tablespoon of baking soda in a small cup and add to it a few drops of hydrogen peroxide. Mix them well together until it becomes a paste.
1.2 Put some of the paste onto your toothbrush and brush your teeth with it.
1.3 After brushing your teeth with baking soda, rinse your mouth and brush your teeth again with the use of regular toothpaste.
1.4 Do this once a week for at least one month. Do not use baking soda on a daily basis since it contains abrasive properties that can destroy the enamel on your teeth.
Another option would be to rinse your mouth with baking soda every time you smoke or take teeth-staining agents like colas, coffee, or tea, and brush your teeth after each meal. They help to prevent the buildup of stains on your teeth.