Nasal congestion refers to a condition when the nose gets blocked due to swollen blood vessels in its membrane lining.
This condition is nothing more than an annoying problem for adults, but for infants, this could be more serious because they are only capable of breathing through their nostrils.
Nasal congestion can be triggered by many causes. These include allergy from pollen or dust, common colds and flu, side effects of certain medications, sinusitis, acid reflux, and inflammation of the nasal blood vessels due to increased blood flow towards the head.
A blocked nose is not a life-threatening problem especially for adults, but if it is left untreated, it may lead to other problems such as sleep apnea and snoring. It can also affect a person’s speech and hearing. To prevent complications from happening, a blocked nose should be treated immediately.
Here are some natural remedies for nasal congestion:
1. Drink plenty of fluids.
Drinking hot soups or lukewarm water can help to minimize the swelling of your nasal passages. You also need to avoid coffee and other caffeinated products as they can worsen nasal congestion.
2. Eat more hot spices. Hot spices are known to ease the congestion of nasal passages.
3. Inhale from a pot of boiling water with your head covered with a towel. The towel works to prevent heat from escaping, and the steam works to relieve your nasal blockage.
4. Put three drops of eucalyptus oil in a vaporizer and inhale its vapors. This can help to decongest your nasal passages.
5. To relieve chest cold or sinusitis, put 1/4 cup of vinegar in a vaporizer and inhale its vapors.
6. Cayenne pepper is another home remedy that can provide you with instant relief from nasal congestion. Sprinkle it on your food and when you eat it, you will be relieved in a matter of seconds.
7. Regular exercise can help to boost your immune system and make you resistant to colds. Engaging in a simple exercise such as walking for an hour a day can already help to keep you away from a lot of sicknesses including colds and blocked nasal passages.