Hyperacidity or acid dyspepsia refers to the presence of excess acid in the stomach.
Our stomach produces hydrochloric acid to facilitate digestion of the food we eat. But if the amount of acid becomes excessive, hyperacidity sets in, and this can cause a lot of discomforts which include nausea and vomiting, sour belching, stiffness in the stomach, gas pains, stress, indigestion, and appetite loss.
Hyperacidity is triggered by many factors, and it is important to know them so that it would not be difficult to trace its root cause when it hits you. Some causes of hyperacidity include poor eating habits, stress, excessive alcohol intake, smoking, drinking coffee, tea and cola drinks.
Knowing the cause of a person’s hyperacidity is important to treat it effectively and permanently. It is easy to eliminate hyperacidity if you can pinpoint what caused it. The most effective cure for acidity is to eliminate what caused it and to neutralize the excess acid that stays in the stomach.
Here are some of the most common natural remedies for hyperacidity:
1. Consume buttermilk after meals.
This is one of the most effective remedies for hyperacidity. If done on a regular basis, consuming buttermilk after meals can also help to eliminate excess acid for good.
2. Eat a piece of clove after meals.
3. Drink lemon juice before meals.
Lemon contains digestive enzymes that help to facilitate digestion and neutralize the acid in the stomach.
4. Eat lots of fruits like banana, melon, pineapple, apple and guava.
5. Drink plenty of water everyday.
6. Avoid spicy foods, fatty foods and fried foods.
7. Avoid alcoholic drinks, coffee and colas.
8. Avoid stressful situations.
9. Avoid cigarettes and tobaccos.
10. Drink ginger tea with honey after meals.
It is an effective way to neutralize excess acid in the stomach and to prevent excessive acid secretion.