Meditation is the practice of focusing the mind on specific thoughts without getting lost in a stream of thinking. It is a self-directed exercise which is aimed at calming the mind and body.
Although primarily intended for religious purposes, studies have found that regular meditation has a positive influence on a person's well-being and quality of life. Many studies further suggest that meditation has the ability to alleviate a number of illnesses like chronic pain, anxiety, hypertension, high cholesterol levels, post-traumatic stress and substance abuse. Being a mental exercise, meditation is believed to improve intelligence and its capability to reduce the level of cortisol in the blood helps to protect the body from the bad effects of stress.
Your body is influenced by thoughts which create vibrations in your energy field. When negative thoughts enter your mind, it creates negative emotions that make you lose energy and motivation. This can make you feel depressed if you allow it to take a deep grip on your state of being.
A way to avoid getting into a depressed state is to stay conscious in a meditative state. Meditation is done in a lot of ways and these are all aimed at obtaining peace of mind, calmness of thought and relaxation of the body. These are either done through breath awareness, focusing on sounds or objects, or simply concentrating on silence.
Meditation can help alleviate depression in a lot of ways:
– It relieves stress by creating a state of relaxation of the mind and body.
– It helps to restore chemical balance in the body and allow your cells to heal naturally;
– It gives you a sense of focus and freedom from the stream of negative thoughts;
– It helps you to attract positive thoughts and emotions which are necessary to keep stress and anxiety at bay;
– It helps to prevent anxiety attacks by reducing the levels of cortisol in the blood;
– It helps to build self-confidence;
– It helps to keep your blood pressure normal.
Stress or any conditions caused or worsened by it, including depression, can be treated through meditation. The relaxed state that you get from meditation is a great way to ease the tension in your body as your mind sends it the quiet message to relax.