Probiotics are live microorganisms similar to the ones found in the human gut. In most cases, probiotics are bacteria which are considered friendly to humans. They are available in foods and dietary supplements.
Sometimes, relying in our immune system alone is not enough to ensure that we are protected from disease-causing organisms which are all around us.
Probiotics can help to protect our health by destroying harmful bacteria which enter our bodies through the food we eat or the fluids we drink. Some of the foods that contain probiotics include yogurt, cheese, garlic, buttermilk and sour cream.
Here are some of the health benefits of probiotics:
1. They help to improve your body's absorption of nutrients to keep you in top shape and form;
2. They help to naturally lessen inflammation in the stomach. They can also help to alleviate diarrhea and other stomach problems;
3. They help to make your digestive tract adapt to milk and other milk products if you are suffering from lactose intolerance. They also contain a special strain of bacteria which help to break down the sugar in milk and related products;
4. They help to relieve constipation especially in the elderly;
5. They help to protect the colon from cancer by preventing bile from turning carcinogenic;
6. They greatly help the immune system in fighting harmful bacteria which are detrimental to your health;
7. They help to control yeast overgrowth in the body;
8. They help to protect your digestive tract by fighting off harmful bacteria that can cause diarrhea, bloating and stomach cramping;
9. They help to lower cholesterol level which is the most common cause of high blood pressure and cardiovascular diseases;
10. They help to stop bad breath by cleaning your colon;
11. They help to reduce the recurrence of bladder cancer.
Taking probiotics is a safe way to improve your health and restore the balance of good and bad bacteria in your body. They occur in your gut naturally, but they can be destroyed by antibiotics which you might be taking to fight off infections. It is always good to take supplements or eat foods that contain them in order to ensure that you have an army of disease-fighting organisms to protect you from illnesses.