Onion is a bulb plant which is widely known as an ingredient in various types of dishes. But aside from its ability to add flavor and aroma to the foods we eat, it has a number of health benefits.
Onions contain sulfur compounds, quercetin, calcium, magnesium, iron, sodium, potassium, selenium and phosphorus which are essential substances for nutrition.
Quercetin is a potent antioxidant which helps to protect you by neutralizing the free radicals that can to cause damage to your cells.
This culinary gem also contains anti-bacterial properties which help to fight bacteria that are a major cause of infections.
Here are some of the most common health benefits of onion:
1. It promotes oral health.
The anti-bacterial properties of onions kill germs that cause tooth decay and oral infections. Chewing raw onions for two to three minutes can kill germs your mouth.
2. It helps to prevent cardiovascular diseases.
Onions also contain blood-thinning properties that prevent red blood cells from forming clumps which could block the arteries. It is one of the causes of cardiovascular diseases and other heart ailments.
3. It helps to treat cough and sore throat. Consuming a mixture of onion juice and honey can bring relief to cough and sore throat.
4. It helps to reduce pain caused by insect bites, bee stings and scorpion stings. By applying onion juice directly to the area bitten by insects, pain will subside.
5. It helps to boost sexual drive.
You can improve your sex drive by taking a mixture of one tablespoon of onion juice and one tablespoon of ginger juice three times a day.
6. It helps to treat anemic conditions.
By eating onions and drinking water laced with whole cane sugar, anemic conditions can be improved.
7. It contains anti-inflammatory properties that help to relieve upset stomach and gastric pains.
8. It helps to treat urinary tract infection.
Drinking water boiled with six to seven grams of onion can help to treat people who are suffering from burning sensation during urination.
9. It helps to prevent anemia.
Onion has high iron content which makes it a potent agent in preventing and treating anemia.
10. It helps to boost the immune system.
Onions help to improve circulation and stimulate sweating. This is very useful in reducing fever and sweating out colds and flu, especially during cold weather.
11. It helps to alleviate arthritis symptoms.
Onions contain anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and gout.
These are some of the known health benefits of onion. Use it as a regular part of your daily cooking; it can help to keep you healthy and protected from many ailments.