Anise essential oil is pale yellow, viscous oil extracted from the Southwest Asian plant scientifically named Pimpinella anisum. This essential oil has the aroma which is distinctive of black licorice and it has been used since ancient times to treat bronchitis, colds and flu. It can also be calming when used in small dilutions.
Here are some of the other health benefits of anise essential oil:
1. It helps to treat gas pains.
Anise essential oil has potent carminative properties which help to prevent the gas pains and flatulence. It also promotes better digestion and improves appetite.
2. It helps to prevent cramps in the stomach and the respiratory tract.
3. It is a good expectorant and it helps to bring up mucus from the lungs, bronchi and trachea. This essential oil can aid in relieving colds.
4. It contains antiseptic properties which work to prevent infections and provide quick healing of cuts, wounds and minor burns.
5. With its aroma that resembles that of licorice, anise essential oil can be a good mouthwash which helps to fight bad breath.
6. Its strong smell helps to make anise essential oil an effective insect repellant.
7. It helps to stimulate the female reproductive system, regulate women’s menstrual cycle and relieve pre-menstrual symptoms.
8. It can help to provide relief from muscle spasms.
9. It has a relaxing effect on the muscles which helps to relieve pain caused by tension.
10. It helps to cure insomnia.
11. Its insect repellant properties help to remove lice.
12. It helps to prevent constipation by acting as a cleansing agent in the intestinal tract.
13. Anise essential oil is also used to add flavor and aroma to many culinary preparations.
These are some of the health benefits of anise essential oil. You can apply it directly on your skin, consume it in preparations like tea, or inhale it as an infusion. However, when you apply it directly on your body, you should dilute it with a carrier oil as it might cause adverse reactions to your skin.
For best results, you should seek the advice of an aromatherapy professional before using anise essential oil to treat your ailment.