Looking for breathing exercises to boost immunity? Well, lucky you because we got you covered.
The immune system is the body’s defense mechanism against organisms that can cause infections. Keeping it healthy is vital in preventing diseases, and there are many ways to do this.
Aside from eating immunity-boosting foods, getting enough rest, and avoiding stress, exercise is also an effective way to enhance the immune system. One of the most effective exercises that can help with this is the sun in a chest breathing exercise, which is associated with yoga.
Sun in chest breathing exercise is a simple yet powerful breathing technique that can energize your body and improve your immune system naturally. It is believed to be particularly beneficial for those who suffer from autoimmune diseases, and practicing it several times a day for two months can have a positive effect on their condition.
Here’s how to perform the sun in chest exercise:
- Find a quiet and well-ventilated place where you can exercise comfortably.
- Gently massage the center of your chest. This step prepares you by activating your thymus gland. Imagine a bud of a flower slowly coming out of your chest as you do the massage.
- Gently hit the center of your chest with a loose fist while envisioning the bud opening up.
- The first three steps are mere preparations. Now, it’s time to start the exercise.
- Extend your arms forward with your palms touching each other. Then, close your fists.
- Start to inhale slowly and deeply through your nostrils while bringing your elbows close to your body. Open your chest well and bring your shoulder blades as close as you can.
- Hold your breath while imagining a bright sun in the center of your chest. Feel the warmth and power of life as you envision the sun.
- When you reach the point that you can no longer hold your breath, open your mouth and exhale slowly through it. Bring your arms back to your starting position.
- Repeat the process for five to fifteen minutes.
How does Sun in Chest Breathing Exercise Improve Immunity?
Our immune system plays a vital role in keeping us healthy. It is a complex system of cells and organs that defend our body against harmful bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens. The immune system also helps in repairing damaged tissues and fighting off cancer cells.
Sun in Chest breathing exercise has a positive effect on the immune system. When we breathe deeply, we activate the diaphragm and abdominal muscles, which helps in improving the circulation of lymphatic fluid.
The lymphatic system is responsible for removing waste and toxins from our body, and it also plays a crucial role in the immune system.
Deep breathing also stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, which helps in reducing stress and promoting relaxation.
When we are stressed, our body releases cortisol, which suppresses the immune system. By reducing stress, Sun in Chest breathing exercise helps in improving the immune function.
Sun in Chest breathing exercise also helps in improving the oxygenation of the blood, which is essential for the immune system. Oxygen is required for the production of infection-fighting white blood cells, and it also helps in maintaining the hormone balance in our body.
Other Breathing Techniques to Try!
According to yoga practitioners, sun in chest breathing exercise is a powerful technique that can help enhance your energy and immune system. It is a form of pranayama, which is a yogic breathing practice that can help strengthen immune function. The exercise works by detoxifying the body, reducing psychological stress, and balancing hormone levels, among other things.
Deep breathing exercises like the sun in chest breathing can help activate the parasympathetic nervous system, which is responsible for the “rest and digest” response. This response helps lower the stress hormone levels and, in turn, helps to reduce stress, anxiety and depression. Moreover, deep breathing exercises can help activate the lymphatic system, which is responsible for the body’s immune response.
In addition to the sun in chest breathing, there are other breathing practices that can help improve the immune system. Wim Hof Method, for instance, is a breathing technique that involves breathing deeply and holding your breath for a certain period. This technique can help strengthen the immune system by increasing the production of white blood cells.
Another breathing practice that can help improve the immune system is alternate nostril breathing, also known as Nadi Shodhana. This technique involves breathing in through one nostril and exhaling through the other. It can help activate the parasympathetic nervous system and improve the overall breathing pattern.
Bhastrika pranayama, also known as bellows breath, is another yogic breathing technique that can help improve the immune system. This technique involves rapid inhalations and exhalations through the nostrils. It can help detoxify the body, improve respiratory function, and boost vitality.
Can Sun in Chest Breathing Exercise Help Boost Immune System During COVID-19 Lockdown?
Benefits of Sun in Chest Breathing Exercise
Sun in Chest breathing exercises can have several other benefits, including:
- Improving your breathing by increasing lung capacity and strengthening respiratory muscles
- Helping fight anxiety and depression by reducing stress and promoting relaxation
- Improving circulation by promoting the flow of oxygen-rich blood throughout the body
- Boosting energy levels by increasing oxygenation in the body
- Enhancing cognitive function by increasing blood flow to the brain
In conclusion, this breathing exercise is a powerful breathing technique that can help improve your overall health and well-being.
By boosting your immune system, improving your breathing, reducing stress, promoting relaxation, and increasing your energy levels, this exercise can have a profound impact on your body and mind.
If you’re looking to improve your health, consider adding Sun in Chest breathing exercises to your daily routine. For more immunity-boosting tips, visit our meditation blog posts.