Heart disease is one of the leading causes of deaths among men and women. It is a general term which people use to refer to various ailments that mainly affect the heart, such as congenital heart disease, heart failure, coronary heart disease and cardiovascular disease, among others.
There are several factors that can trigger heart disease. These include unhealthy lifestyle, smoking, stress, anger, poor eating habits, too much bad cholesterol, lack of exercise and hypertension.
You should avoid getting involved in any of these factors in order to keep your heart in good condition. Here are four easy tips that can help to protect you from heart disease:
Being a couch potato or living a sedentary lifestyle exposes you to the risk of getting a heart disease especially as you get older. You need to engage in physical activities in order to strengthen your body as well as your heart and mind. It enhances circulation and it invigorates your body and brain cells with oxygenated blood, making you strong, flexible and resistant to stress and diseases.
Here are simple ways to exercise:
– Engage in sports like lawn tennis or badminton;
– Jog your way to a healthy heart and a sense of well-being;
– If your office is just a few stories up the building, take the stairs instead of the elevator;
– Increase your walking distance by parking farther away from your destination;
– Do house cleaning or car washing instead of hiring other people to do it.
2. Avoid stress
Stress is considered a contributing factor for heart diseases. You can reduce stress by means of meditating, engaging in relaxing pastimes like painting, gardening, raising a pet, or participating in yoga.
3. Quit smoking
Smoking doubles a person’s risk of getting a heart disease. If you are a smoker, you need to kick the habit as it is one of the leading causes of heart diseases. It can also cause damage to your brain cells and your respiratory system.
4. Eat healthy foods that help to prevent heart diseases
Eating the right kinds of foods is one of the best ways to keep you energized and in good physical and mental health. The foods you eat in the long term are one of the determining factors of your health.
Here are some of the foods which can help to keep your heart in good health:
– Fish which are rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as tuna, mackerel and salmon;
– Poultry products which are high in protein and low in fats. These include turkey and chicken.
– Fruits such as bananas, grapefruits, apples, strawberries and apricots are high in vitamins and antioxidants. They do not contain fats that contribute to the onset of heart diseases;
– Whole grains; they contain omega-3 which is good for the heart;
– Red wine; it contains resveratrol which helps to prevent heart diseases by preventing the formation of blood clots and increasing the level of good cholesterol in your body.