Itching is an irritating sensation on the surface of the skin and it triggers a desire to scratch. The feeling that something is crawling on the skin makes us feel uncomfortable, and we can sometimes think that scratching it is the only solution yet it is not always the case because scratching can sometimes worsen the problem.
Itching is caused by a lot of factors such as infections, rashes, underlying medical conditions and allergy. It can also be triggered by dry skin, prickly heat, sunburn, fungal infections, STD, chemicals, insect bites, eczema, intestinal parasites, lice and scabies.
Itching is uncomfortable and sometimes embarrassing, but it can’t be relieved by scratching alone. You have to know what caused it to be able to resolve the problem once and for all, but you have to find temporary relief first. This will give you time to go to your doctor without the need to scratch and possibly worsen the affected area.
Here are some of the most common home remedies for itching:
1. Neem oil
Neem oil is a vegetable oil extracted from the fruits and seeds of neem, a plant which is endemic to the Indian subcontinent. You can minimize itching by applying neem oil on the affected area or by boiling neem leaves in water and adding the infusion to your bath.
2. Baking Soda Paste
Create a paste by mixing baking soda and water and apply it to the itching part of your skin. This will give you some relief.
3. Vitamin E oil
Applying vitamin E oil to the itching portion can also help to lessen itching.
4. Hot Water
Wash your itching skin with hot water for immediate relief.
5. Mix aloe vera extracts, cod liver oil, Vitamin E oil, lemon juice and wheat germ oil and apply it on the affected surface. This can help to lessen the itch.
6. A mixture of coconut oil and lime juice helps to relive itching.
7. You can also put a cup of white vinegar to your bath water and soak your body in it for at least 10 minutes to lessen itching.
8. If oatmeal is available in the kitchen, add two cups of it to lukewarm water then soak the itchy part in it. This can help to lessen the itchy sensation.
9. Mix one-fourth part of apple cider vinegar to one-half part of water and use the mixture to wash the itchy part. This will give you some relief.
10. Do a peppermint bath to get some relief from itch in any part of your body.
11. Rubbing itchy skin with paste made from cinnamon powder and can help to alleviate the condition.