Depression is a prevalent problem and it affects about 17 percent of the global population. It is manifested by the feeling of being so low, loss of appetite, difficulty sleeping, fatigue, difficulty to concentrate and sometimes, thoughts about suicide.
When you go this experience at some point in your life, it is sometimes difficult to determine whether your actions are normal responses to stress or you have become depressed. But if you can see that the indications are affecting your behavior, mood and sleeping pattern for at least two weeks, you may be suffering from depression and this calls for professional help.
There are many methods to treat depression. These include the the prescription of anti depressant medication, counseling and exercise. This article is intended to give you some insights about exercise as a way to treat depression.
Findings of several scientific studies suggest that regular exercise regimen is an effective way to prevent or relieve depression. It helps to improve mood reduce stress, boosts a person’s sense of well-being and enhance his ability to concentrate.
There are many reasons that can support the theory that exercise can help to beat depression. Here are some of them:
1. Exercise helps to stimulate the brain to release feel good hormones. These hormones make us feel good about ourselves.
2. Outdoor exercises help us to see and appreciate the beauty of the world around us. This has a calming effect in the mind which can reduce stress and anxiety.
3. It helps to provide an adequate supply of oxygen to the brain and all the cells in the body. It can help to improve our mood and ability to think clearly.
4. It helps us to go out, get active and meet new people. Being in the company of other people can set us free from feeling isolated.
5. It helps to divert our minds on a new goal.
6 It helps to give us a feeling of well-being. It improves our self-esteem and it makes us more confident and feeling better about ourselves.
7. Exercise is a process that can give us a sense of achievement and control. This can help to counter feelings of hopelessness and negativity.
8. It is completely natural and it does not produce unpleasant side effects.
9. It can help to reduce excess prevent or treat obesity which is one of the many causes of low-self-esteem.
These are some of the reasons why exercise can help to treat depression and anxiety. According to a survey, 85 percent of people who suffered depression assert that exercise is a great way to combat depression.
If you are experiencing symptoms of depression which persist for two weeks or more, you need to see your doctor to seek professional advice.Tags: symptoms of depression, feel good hormone, exercise regimen, new goal
Filed Under: Exercise
About the Author: The Energize Team is comprised of Sam Green, a health conscious super blogger, and his tireless staff who's main purpose is to provide useful and helpful information to the public. Leading a healthy and happy life begins with knowledge and learning. They hope to have visitors apply what they learn here in their everyday lives.